RESOURCES

ACCIDENT FACTS

Carnegie-Mellon University, released a study on January 18, 2007, revealing a number of startling statistics about vehicle accidents:  

  • There are 1.35 male deaths as opposed to .77 female deaths for every 100 million miles driven
  • Male drivers are 77% more likely to die in a car accident than women.
  • Elderly women are 60% more likely to suffer a fatal accident than a 16-year-old boy
  • Elderly women are 5 times more likely to die on the road even as a passengers, and are subject to the highest road related death risks in the U.S.
  • Male drivers 16-23 are four times more likely to be involved in a fatal vehicle      accident than the average driver, due to inexperience and lack of      maturity.
  • The reasons for elevated risks of male drivers include speeding, and a higher      likelihood of drinking and driving
  • Drivers between 40 and 50 have the lowest risk of being involved in a fatal car accident
  • Infants and children up to 4 years old have the lowest death risks
  • School buses had a similar safety rating, with a one-50th fatality rating in      comparison to passenger cars
  • Motorcycle riders were 32% more likely to suffer fatal accidents compared to      passenger vehicles

MVA'S - WHAT TO DO

Most states require, by law, that an individual not to leave the scene of an accident without first stopping to see whether there are damages or injuries. A person may be criminally prosecuted for leaving the scene of an automobile accident. 


Do gather the other driver's contact information and insurance information. 


Do call the police and report the accident. 


Do take photos of the accident with your phone if possible. 


Do get the names and contact information of all witnesses. 


Do take notes of the events that took place. 


Do seek medical attention. 


Do call your insurance company. 


Do contact our law firm to discuss your case. 

TRUCKING ACCIDENTS

Unfortunately, it has become an all-too-familiar scene: A large truck is speeding and weaving through traffic when the truck driver suddenly (and improperly) changes lanes, striking a much-smaller vehicle. Or another accident might occur when a “big rig” rear-ends a smaller vehicle that is stopped for traffic. More often than not, the results are devastating. As you might imagine, motorists who share the roadways with large trucks weighing over 10,000 pounds are at a serious disadvantage in the event of an accident. There are certainly many good truck drivers who follow the rules of the road. We applaud their difficult job of hauling goods across the nation. But, the statistics don't lie. During the past 20 years, eighteen-wheeler traffic has more than doubled. 


According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), “4,008 people died in truck accidents in 2008, with only 15% of those deaths being attributed to large truck occupants. The remaining 85% of deaths afflicted motorists in smaller passenger cars, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.” Furthermore, “97% of vehicle occupants killed in two-vehicle crashes involving a passenger vehicle and a large truck in 2008 were occupants of the passenger vehicles.” 2007 National Truck Accident Statistics